Excise Warehouse

Robert Peck robert at sugarbushvineyards.ca
Wed May 25 16:07:13 EDT 2022

Folks,

With the imminent changes coming for Excise Tax make sure that your
winery/cidery is ready.

Any post-2006 winery/cidery needs to apply for a Excise Warehouse.

Having an Excise Warehouse allows you to defer the excise tax on the bottles
to the month in which the bottles are sold.  If you do not have an Excise
Warehouse license, excise tax will be due the month you bottle your
wine/cider.

The WineryPOS software is expecting you to have an Excise Warehouse that
allows you to deter Excise Tax.  After the final announcements are made, the
software will be modified to handle the changes.

To apply for an Excise Warehouse, use the same form (L63 - which I attached)
as you would to renew your regular Excise license and fill it out with the
same information BUT with the following changes:

1)      Section A - Check the New Application checkbox

2)      Section B - In the Excise duty account number, just put in your
Business Number - leave the 4 digits following the RD blank

3)      Section F - Check the Excise Warehouse checkbox

If you have questions phone: 1-866-330-3304

They are busy, but if you leave your contact info they will phone you back.
It took about 1 hour for them to return my call.

Cheers,

Rob